Job Location: Islamabad
Job Type: Contractual
Department / Job Category: Community & Social Services
Last Date: 18 May 2020
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process for staff.
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
The WASH Coordinator will be expected to work closely with the implementing partners and to lead on sectoral assessment, project planning, coordination, procurement at districts to implement the WASH activities meeting the desire quality. This position require extensive field/site visit and worked closely with the community/beneficiaries from planning onwards to implementation and further operation and management of intervention carried on the project. This position is expected to deliver series of capacity enhancement training/orientation to beneficiaries/user committee on/during planning, implementation and sustainable operation of the project interventions. This position need to establish and maintain good coordination and collaboration with the government line agencies.The position holder is expected to carry survey, design, estimate water supply systems and prepared hygiene promotion approach and implement accordingly. Extensive field monitoring visit is required to ensure the quantity and quality of the activities and monitor the budget, warehouse regularly. In most circumstances, the post holder will be expected to mentor and/or capacity building the WASH personnel of implementing partner organization.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Prepare and oversee district’s project implementation to ensure timely delivery of HBCC project activities.
- Lead district WASH Program on planning, need assessment, design of WASH activities (both construction and hygiene promotion) in coordination relevant other SC thematic areas, ensuring children’s need will address at most.
- Support and coordinate with partner and government line agencies to finalise the working VDC and sites, need and gap survey, conduct detail survey, estimate, preparation of BOQ, Knowledge and Attitude and Practice (KAP) and analysis of the findings.
- Promote community participation in project planning, implementation and operation of the infrastructures constructed.
- Extensive field visit to supervise and monitor the activities.
- Work closely with relevant government line agencies on selection of schemes, implementation of project activities to build their ownership on the intervention and sustainability.
- Coordinate with other WASH agencies of the working area/district to avoid duplication and ensure the project activities were well planned and implement in integrated manner.
- Support and guide partner’s project team to prepare work plan, procurement plan, and distribution plan and ensure the plan was followed accordingly.
- Prepare distribution, implementation plan, raised procurement request at district level and follow up with the logistic team for timely delivery of required materials
- Regular monitor and update on the budget expenditure, warehouse record and output tracker.
- Develop and maintain the data management systems including the beneficiaries and update regularly.
- Support and Coordinate with Sr Health manager to prepare timely programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
- Identify learning and training opportunities for staff.
- Work as a mentor and on Job trainer for less experienced staff.
- Develop relevant training manuals for staffs (including partners) and for community
Representation & Advocacy & Organisational Learning:
- Coordinate with district and regional government / agencies and relevant actors and maintain working relationship.
- Participate in WASH Coordination committee at district level, share information from Save the Children WASH programmes
- Represent SCI as a focal WASH person on the respective field.
- Deliver results in line with the current proposals and Save the Children’s strategy – to do this in a way that maintains the reputation of the WASH team and the organization.
- Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure all the WASH activities implementing at the respective field/district comply SCI processes, policies, and systems.
- To perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- willing to take disciplined risks.
- honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Master’s degree in Civil/Sanitation/Water Engineering, Public Health, Environment, or other related field(s
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in WASH sector, especially in WASH project management in a development context; humanitarian context will be added value
- Demonstrated monitoring and evaluation skills
- Proven capacity to supervise, train and coach staff in WASH technical skills
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Able to carry extensive field visit (remote hill location)
- Excellent communication skills
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Experience of working with partners
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SCI; in particular, a good understanding of the SCI mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.